Who Are Podcast Listeners? [VIDEO]
Edison Research has just published its annual Podcast Consumer report that sheds some light on just who is listening to podcasts and lends support for the idea that audio is a growing opportunity for content marketing.
Among the highlights from Edison’s latest report:
- The audience for podcasting grew significantly in the past year. Today, 51% of Americans 12+ have ever listened to a podcast, with 32% having listened in the past month, and 22% in the past week.
- Podcasting’s Share of Ear has more than doubled in five years, increasing 122% since 2014.
- Although all key demographics grew, much of the increase in podcasting has come from Americans age 12-24.
- Forty-one percent of monthly podcast listeners say they are listening to more podcasts today compared to one year ago, with 13% saying they are listening to less.
- Streaming services are playing a role in the growth of podcasting, with 43% of monthly podcast listeners say they have listened to a podcast on Spotify, and 35% on Pandora.
- Music is the number one topic in terms of interest from podcast consumers.
- 54% of podcast consumers say that they are more likely to consider the brands they hear advertised on podcasts, compared to 7% who say they are less likely.
This hour-long video walks through the results of the report:
Survey Methodology: In January/February 2019, Edison Research conducted a national telephone survey of 1,500 people aged 12 and older, using random digit dialing techniques to both cell phones and landlines. Telephone data was weighted to national 12+ U.S. population figures. In addition, Edison Research also conducted a national online survey of 4,126 people aged 12 and older. Online data weighted to match the Infinite Dial telephone demographics of those with internet access. Both surveys were offered in both English and Spanish.
Leave a Comment